Anthropic’s mission is to create reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe for our customers and for society as a whole.
Anthropic’s AI technology is amongst the most capable and safe in the world. However, large language models are a new type of intelligence, and the art of instructing them in a way that delivers the best results is still in its infancy — it’s a hybrid between programming, instructing, and teaching.
You will figure out the best methods of prompting our AI to accomplish a wide range of tasks, then document these methods to build up a library of tools and a set of tutorials that allows others to learn prompt engineering or simply find prompts that would be ideal for them.
Given that the field of prompt-engineering is arguably less than 2 years old, this position is a bit hard to hire for! If you have existing projects that demonstrate prompt engineering on LLMs or image generation models, we’d love to see them.
If you haven’t done much in the way of prompt engineering yet, you can best demonstrate your prompt engineering skills by spending some time experimenting with Claude or GPT3 and showing that you’ve managed to get complex behaviors from a series of well crafted prompts.
- Discover, test, and document best practices for a wide range of tasks relevant to our customers.
- Build up a library of high quality prompts or prompt chains to accomplish a variety of tasks, with an easy guide to help users search for the one that meets their needs.
- Build a set of tutorials and interactive tools that teach the art of prompt engineering to our customers.
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have a creative hacker spirit and love solving puzzles.
- Are an excellent communicator, and love teaching technical concepts and creating high quality documentation that helps out others.
- Have at least a high level familiarity with the architecture and operation of large language models.
- Have at least basic programming and QA skills and would be comfortable writing small Python programs.
- Have an organizational mindset and enjoy building teams from the ground up. You think holistically and can proactively identify the needs of an organization.
- You make ambiguous problems clear and identify core principles that can translate across scenarios.
- Have a passion for making powerful technology safe and societally beneficial. You anticipate unforeseen risks, model out scenarios, and provide actionable guidance to internal stakeholders.
- Think creatively about the risks and benefits of new technologies, and think beyond past checklists and playbooks. You stay up-to-date and informed by taking an active interest in emerging research and industry trends.
$175,000 – $335,000 a year
Salary – The expected salary range for this position is $175k – $335k.
LinkedIn tracking: #LI-DNI
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity – On top of this position’s salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits – Benefits we offer include:
– Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
– Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
– 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
– 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
– Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
– Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
– Fertility benefits via Carrot.
– Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
– Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we’re different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We’re an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Mulitmodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you’re interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we’re building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Come work with us! Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.